October 27, 2004

Google's GMail - The Killer Internet App at last?

I found a story on Slashdot today discussing Google's new GMail service. Well, it has actually been out awhile but just not released to the general public yet. The only way to get into the system is to be invited to it. I have 4 more invites left so email me if you want one. I have used free web-based email systems like Hotmail and Yahoo before, but they always left me wanting more. With GMail, I continually find myself wondering how they do the things they do. The aforementioned article talks about this. On its most basic level. GMail handles SPAM very well. Most of the things in the SPAM folder are really spam. Most of the things in my inbox are valid. Additionally, you do not have to ever delete anything if you do not want to delete it. You can archive all your mail then search against the archive to find it. You get 1GB of storage to save mail. So, if you have a Hotmail account and find you have to constantly delete it because it gets full, then this is for you. TTFN. - Tom

No comments: