March 28, 2009

Parity (the root of all evil)

Back when I worked at the Home Shopping Network, I was a systems programmer. In that environment, that meant that I worked on development that included maintaining the operating system of the Unisys mainframe, developing utility software, automating the end of day run, and various projects that were the technically difficult things. Often, this meant that I was charged with working on things at night. This could mean I was there for the start of the end of day run (11:00 PM) or when the operator sent a file to the credit card processor (2:00 AM). I cannot count the number of times I ended up working late. Mostly, I would go home then come back later and work until the wee hours of the morning. This normally meant that I would get home at 2 or 3 in the morning and get up at 9 or 10 and go back to work. The net effect was that I wandered into the office much later than the application developers that had to be there at 8:00 AM. I frequently heard complaints such as "Why can Tom come in late, but I have to be here early?" My managers were quite supportive and always would tell them that Tom works strange hours and if they worked the hours I did, then then could come in whatever time they wanted. Few took them up on the offer. I tell this story because it illustrates the demand for parity. This is rampant in corporations--if I get an extra day off (for working like a dog for weeks) there are those that think they should get an extra day. "If I have to stand in this airport line, then you do too". They miss the fact that I am standing in the Gold dividend miles line because I flew 50,000 miles last year. That means I was away from my family for many hours and sacrificed much for the small perk to get my boarding pass a little bit faster. As long as there is a desire for parity, there will be those that look upon others that have something they do not with contempt. Forget the fact that I have sacrificed more than they could know for what I have. The successful among us only make it look easy--it is really not. Until you have put in the effort that I have, you cannot fathom what I deserve to have.

I have been thinking about this issue lately because of the burgeoning class war in America. The gulf between those that have and those that do not is widening. Now, I completely agree there are those that game the system. They lie and cheat their way to some form of financial success. I am confident there is a special place in hell for those people and no amount of accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior will get them out of it. I would not waste any more words on those cheaters. I am talking about the contempt our society is showing for those among us that have gained some financial success. If I happen to make $200,000 this year (not that I'm saying I will), why should I be looked upon with contempt by those that do not have a chance in hell of making that kind of money. Just let me enjoy the fruits of my labor and be done with it. I should not have to read a paper where they use the term "six-figures" in a pejorative sense. Maybe I am being too sensitive. It seems that I get this sense that I am being made out to be an enemy of the state for making good money.

Now I am not one of those that thinks I pay too much in taxes (I think I don't pay enough). I am as liberal as they come (although I do believe in personal responsibility) I have no problem with not qualifying for tax rebates, or the various middle class tax credits. I make good money and those should be reserved for those making less. But, please do not cast aspersions on my career or what I make. I could make the statement that finances is only one small measures of success, but honestly, considering that I lost my job in 2003, had recently divorced (2002), lost my house in Salt Lake City and was flat broke. I can say that after not having anything, financial success is a big part of how we get to live. I turned it around with my abilities, knowledge, and reputation. I guess I would like those that don't make as much to think that those of us that do are somehow less deserving than them. We are a product of our choices. If your neighbor makes more and gets to travel to Europe for the summer, instead of putting them down to prop yourself up, make better choices.

1 comment:

David Schaefer said...

Never thought you'd be one to have an unread blog. Not a follower in sight, and not a comment in years.