November 01, 2009

Should we all change our buying habits?

I have found myself wondering why people that have not had their financial situation changed would approach things differently. I understand if someone feared for their jobs, but if that is not the case--in the sense of no more fear of losing a job than normal as nothing is guaranteed--why would you approach spending, or what trips you take, or whatever you do with your discretionary income differently? It seems to be that if you are in the camp where your job is safe and you make the same as last year (if not more), you would behave the same. Do people in this boat simply give in to group-think? Since three families on the block have ben hit by hard times, we have to conserve. I think that is squirrel behavior :)

Note I understand if your life was based on how much credit you could acquire and living of off your cards but that credit is not as available now. If that is the case, then you are NOT in the group I describe. No matter if your family makes $30,000 or $300,000, if you are making the same as the last few years and do not fear losing that income, have you changed your buying behavior? Does something tell you that you should not buy as much this year or maybe you have decided to give up Target for Walmart (or dare I say, Nordstrom's for Sears).

No comments: